For a teacher just starting to differentiate, the idea of it can sometimes seem overwhelming. It does require more planning, but once you get to know your students, it becomes easier. This post is going to focus on differentiation in reading instruction, but the ideas can apply to many subjects!
WHAT DIFFERENTIATION LOOKS LIKE
- Teaching the standards with a variety of levels of texts to meet different levels
- Teaching the standards in tiered levels (providing access to all learners for the standard)
- Giving students choice on how they demonstrate their knowledge based on learning styles
- LOTS of formative assessments to determine who understands and who needs more support
WHAT DIFFERENTIATION DOES NOT LOOK LIKE
- Teaching the same lesson to every small group
- Gifted students always teaching low learners
- Ability-grouped classrooms
Get your assessments from my TPT store by clicking here!