These paired passages, or paired texts, meet the demand for more complex texts that students can use to compare and build knowledge to integrate information and draw conclusions. The high-interest, rigorous passages in this set are great to stretch your 4th and 5th graders, and still appropriate for many students in middle school as well.
I have included printable AND Google App formats of the passages along with the multiple-choice and constructed response questions. There are seven multiple-choice questions (each question assessing a different standard) and one constructed response/essay question PER PAIR.
The printable passages are provided in two styles: article (two column) as well as full page.
⬆️ Please check out the preview for a look at the resource! ⬆️
This set contains three pairs of informational passages (six total passages) about several celebrations that occur around the world.
⭐️ the Festivals of Lights that occur in Thailand, Taiwan, and China compared to the International Balloon Fiesta in the US.
⭐️ Diwali, and the holiday’s food and clothing traditions.
⭐️ Dia de los Muertos (Day of the Dead), and Catrina: the icon of the holiday.
WAYS TO USE THIS RESOURCE:
- whole group or small group modeling
- read and annotate the texts together, then provide the questions for comprehension check, allowing students to use the annotated passages
- completely independent practice for students reading above 4th-5th grade level
WHY TEACHERS LOVE THESE PAIRED TEXTS:
- students enjoy the topics of the passages (no yawns through lessons)
- integrate social studies and science content into ELA to maximize much-needed time
- the multiple-choice questions cover a variety of standards per paired set, and they require students to go back into the text for the answer (not basic-level comprehension)
- digital formats are self-grading
- having both printable and digital formats allows teachers to transition seamlessly from in-class to virtual learning, or use in paperless 1:1 classrooms
SEE IT IN ACTION:
Click here to see a blog post showing how I model purposeful annotating!
INFO ABOUT THE DIGITAL FILES:
The assessments are provided in Google FORMS. The multiple-choice options will be shuffled for each student, and the items will be automatically scored.
The passages are provided in Google SLIDES and can be annotated by adding text boxes. Students could use lines to underline or draw arrows with the line tool. I have also inserted a “highlight box” on the title of each passage. Show students how to select the box, then copy and paste it to use for highlighting purposes in the text. They can resize the box by dragging the corners to highlight only what they need.
You could allow the students to use their annotated passages for their assessments by having them share the screen (or “split screen”) for both files. I have also included the passages at the top of the assessments.
Get a free digital pair of texts delivered to your inbox, along with more useful information about implementing paired texts in your classroom.
See the other paired texts sets in my store, or click here to BUY ALL of the Grades 4-6 Paired Texts and get any new sets I create in the future for free!
Are you looking for DIFFERENTIATED passages to use for assessments? Click here to see my Mix and Match Assessments, differentiated for student reading level and grade level comprehension!
Please remember, this purchase is for the use of one teacher. It is not intended to be shared. Please use the ‘additional license’ purchase if more than one teacher will be using it. Thank you!
Copyright © 2014-2020 Ideas By Jivey, LLC
All rights reserved by author, Jessica Ivey.
Permission to copy for single classroom use only.
Electronic distribution limited to single classroom use only.
Not for public display.