You can get the book on Amazon:
This link is an affiliate link on Amazon.
OR you can play the book on Storyline Online!
There are so many wonderful things you can do with this book. I am going to share a few in this post.
All of the activities I am suggesting can be found in this mentor text pack in my TPT store!
- This is a great book to use to introduce the theme of friendship! There are many pieces of evidence the students can find to support this theme.
- But don't stop now! You can also teach character traits with this book. Have students describe the boy or Jeremy Ross giving evidence of their thoughts, words, and actions with you for practice, then have students describe Dad on their own!
- This next idea won't just get in some great writing practice, but it will also be a great review of manners and how to treat each other. Students should write an opinion piece on what makes a good friend. First, discuss and brainstorm ideas as a class, then have students write to the topic.
- Of course, you'll also want to tie in good-sentence-writing and revision lessons with this prompt, which leads to the next subject...
- Use a sentence from the book full of adjectives for your mentor sentence! (Not familiar with mentor sentences? Read all about them HERE!) Have students identify the adjectives and tell you why they help the reader. They should also be using adjectives when writing about what makes a good friend.
My friend Megan over at I Teach! What's Your Superpower?
loves using mentor sentences!
- You can also practice identifying subjects and predicates to make sure the students have complete sentences in their writing. We always practice first by looking at sentences from the book we are reading. I prepare sentences on sentence strips first and cut them apart between the complete subjects and complete predicates. I pass them out to the students and their first job is to decide if they have a subject or a predicate strip. Then, they will circle the simple subject(s) and underline the simple predicate(s).
Next, they will find their "match" to make a complete sentence!
I hope this post gave you some good ideas on how to get the most out of your teaching time with one mentor text! You can head over and get the pack for this book in my TPT store here!